[svlug] gmane oddity w/svlug

Ian Kluft ikluft at thunder.sbay.org
Tue Jul 5 09:40:25 PDT 2005

On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 09:53:07AM -0400, beartooth wrote:
> I follow this list -- like almost any other I can -- on gmane; and I'm
> obviously subscribed, since I can post. Also the address in the From: line
> is not only real and functional, but the one I post from and have
> subscribed (through gmane, perhaps; I do that whenever I can).
>
> But when I got a direct carbon to it this morning, of a reply to a post of
> mine here, and told it reply to all, the list copy eventually bounced. Is
> that a deliberate setting, or an artifact of the way gmane subscribes
> people?

Yeah, it isn't just SVLUG.  And it isn't just lists operated by the Mailman
software.  If you restrict sending to a list so that it can only be done
by subscribers - and you have to do something like that these days to
avoid spam - then that's the result.

You would see the same thing on any lists by any other organization.
If you subscribe by a secondary list, then the primary list doesn't know
you.  End of story.  That's just how it works.  Blame the spammers.