[svlug] ICANN is deprecated

Walt Reed svlug at linuxguy.com
Sun Jul 3 02:50:56 PDT 2005

On Sun, Jul 03, 2005 at 12:36:41AM -0700, Ron Hinchley said:
> There is talk about the Internet splitting up after the US decision
> Friday not turn control of the top level computers to ICANN. How is the
> schism going to happen? Will each country make their own registry? Can't
> the Internet operate beneath these 13 servers that provide the master
> directory? There must also be a plan to force all traffic through a
> limited set of nodes and create a less decentralized name system, or can
> they have the control they think they need without doing this?  If they
> do not force centralized name services, couldn't someone operate a
> competing name service? They have the observation power without this
> step, can we assume that they need censorship for security?

That's just political hot air - meaningless babble. Frankly, ICANN has
become a personal power trip organization that has been collecting
unreasonable fees to line it's own pockets and build an empire. Having
ICANN run the root servers would just be another excuse for them to jack
domain registration fees.  ICANN's behavior in regards to it's new TLD
policy is reprehensible.  I welcome the DOC's decision.

When you look at the situation, you find that the US has always played
fairly in the operation of the root servers... The existance of TLD's
for coutries that the US considers "evil" (such as North Korea and
Iran) is proof of this. Other contries have NOTHING to complain about.
If they want something to complain about, complain about ICANN.

Note: Please don't start a new thread by replying to an existing thread.
It places your messages as part of a totally unrelated conversation in
thread-capable mail clients. It's bad netiquette. Technically, when you
reply to a message, your mail client adds "In-Reply-To:" and / or
"References:" headers that refer to the other message.