[svlug] Fedora and ssh

beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Sat Jul 2 13:01:02 PDT 2005

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 00:29:47 -0700, Bill Hubbard wrote:
[....]
> My "new" Fedora Core 4 box is up and I'm playing with it, and just
> started using ssh.  I installed PuTTY on my Windows box so I can log
> into my Linux box remotely.  I have no problem doing this.  However, I
> would like to be able to log into my older Linux box, but am having
> trouble doing so.  There are two user account that I use when connecting
> via SAMBA, but these accounts don't let me log in either from the
> console or via ssh.  I don't yet know enough about user accounts on
> Linux to understand why.  How do I enable the account to allow me to log
> in via ssh?  I haven't been able to figure it out from the books I have.

There seems, at least to my inadequate grasp of things electronic, to be
some new oddity in ssh under FC4 that wasn't there before. And it doesn't
involve Samba, nor Putty -- though I would try XP with putty and with
PC-Pine if I knew how to connect my XP machine with my linux machines
through the router they're all on. (I'm working, with a lot of help, on
setting up a LAN, but it's going to be a while.)

Mouse in xterm in pine works when you're on a machine directly, and when
you ssh to it IF [!] you don't ssh from FC4. I can ssh into all machines,
and run pine; but that detail depends on whether I do it from an FC4
machine, and afaict only on that.

I've put details of what I tried and what I found on
gmane.mail.pine.general, gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general (with followups
there) and comp.mail.pine -- and also sent an account to novalug, in case
there are any other joint subscribers. (I'm not competent to file bug
reports; so that's the best I can do.)

--
Beartooth Neo-Redneck, Linux Evangelist
FC 1&4, YDL 4; Pine 4.63, Pan 0.14.2.91; Privoxy 3.0.3;