[svlug] Fedora and ssh

Mark msalists at gmx.net
Fri Jul 1 09:17:02 PDT 2005

Here are some pointers:

1. Check if sshd is running: "service sshd status" should come back with some process IDs. If not, try "ps -auxw | grep 'sshd'" to
see if an sshd daemon is maybe running, but not as a service.

2. Does ssh even ask for a password? Or does it not even respond? If it is running but doesn't respond, it might be a firewall issue

3. Try "finger <userid>" with one of those 2 samba user IDs to make sure they are real accuonts, and not just samba user IDs.
It's possible afaik to set up user IDs for samba and mapping them to some other system ID, so then those user IDs would not work for
anything other than samba.
If finger says "No such user", create the userid using the "adduser" command

4. Check "etc/passwd": are the 2 user accounts in there? If they are, what shell do they use (the last item in the line). If they
have /bin/false or /sbin/nologin, try to replace that shell with /bin/bash

Points 1 and two would really only explain why ssh doesn't log you on, but not why you have problems with concole login. 3&4 should
take care of both...

MARK