[svlug] Fedora and ssh

Bill Hubbard kwooda at netzero.net
Fri Jul 1 00:29:47 PDT 2005

I have a Linux box that someone set up for me a couple years ago with Fedora Core 1.  It runs apache and Samba and that's about it.  It has never been updated, and I just have a couple small web sites on it.

My "new" Fedora Core 4 box is up and I'm playing with it, and just started using ssh.  I installed PuTTY on my Windows box so I can log into my Linux box remotely.  I have no problem doing this.  However, I would like to be able to log into my older Linux box, but am having trouble doing so.  There are two user account that I use when connecting via SAMBA, but these accounts don't let me log in either from the console or via ssh.  I don't yet know enough about user accounts on Linux to understand why.  How do I enable the account to allow me to log in via ssh?  I haven't been able to figure it out from the books I have.

Bill