[svlug] HP's Quickplay - Where's the Source?

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Thu Dec 30 15:33:21 PST 2004

on Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 02:38:57PM -0800, Karen Shaeffer (shaeffer at neuralscape.com) wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 02:13:27PM -0800, Serban Giuroiu wrote:
> > --- Greg Herlein <gherlein at herlein.com> wrote:
> > > Just becaue the kernel is GPL does not mean that HP
> > > needs to open
> > > the source to an application that runs on linux.  I
> > > would
> > > recommend you go read up on the way Open SOurce
> > > licenses work.
> >
> > Yeah, I know that. I'm not interested in the software
> > HP created to play media but rather the underlying
> > non-proprietary kernel code. In the GPL, it states:
>
> [ snip ]
>
> > Doesn't that mean, at least for the kernel and other
> > open-source utilities used to run Quickplay, source
> > code should be available? It is conceivable that HP
> > might have modified parts of the kernel anyway.
>

> Hi,
>
> First off, the GPL states, for a case such as this, that HP only need
> provide access to the source code to folks who buy the product.

Not necessarially true.  If they're invoking GPL Section 3(b), then the
offer must be "to give any third party".  That's if HP are shipping the
product without accompanying source code.

However it's difficult to tell just what the situation is here as we've
only got partial information.

Peace.

    I'll stop calling this Administration "Orwellian" when they stop
    using 1984 as an operations manual
    - J. Bradforth DeLong, on Bush           http://www.j-bradford-delong.net/