[svlug] HP's Quickplay - Where's the Source?

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Thu Dec 30 14:38:57 PST 2004

On Thu, Dec 30, 2004 at 02:13:27PM -0800, Serban Giuroiu wrote:
> --- Greg Herlein <gherlein at herlein.com> wrote:
> > Just becaue the kernel is GPL does not mean that HP
> > needs to open
> > the source to an application that runs on linux.  I
> > would
> > recommend you go read up on the way Open SOurce
> > licenses work.
>
> Yeah, I know that. I'm not interested in the software
> HP created to play media but rather the underlying
> non-proprietary kernel code. In the GPL, it states:

[ snip ]

> Doesn't that mean, at least for the kernel and other
> open-source utilities used to run Quickplay, source
> code should be available? It is conceivable that HP
> might have modified parts of the kernel anyway.

Hi,

First off, the GPL states, for a case such as this,
that HP only need provide access to the source code
to folks who buy the product. They have no obligation
to give it to you -- if you have not bought the
product. (Of course, someone who bought the product
and got the source code, could then give it to you.)

I doubt HP is interested in violating the GPL. But you
ought to prove this one way or the other, now that
you took it this far.

Thanks,
Karen
--