[svlug] HP's Quickplay - Where's the Source?

Serban Giuroiu gyzmobro at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 30 14:13:27 PST 2004

--- Greg Herlein <gherlein at herlein.com> wrote:
> Just becaue the kernel is GPL does not mean that HP
> needs to open
> the source to an application that runs on linux.  I
> would
> recommend you go read up on the way Open SOurce
> licenses work.

Yeah, I know that. I'm not interested in the software
HP created to play media but rather the underlying
non-proprietary kernel code. In the GPL, it states:
3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work
based on it,
under Section 2) in object code or executable form
under the terms of
Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one
of the following:

    a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding
machine-readable
    source code, which must be distributed under the
terms of Sections
    1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for
software interchange;
Doesn't that mean, at least for the kernel and other
open-source utilities used to run Quickplay, source
code should be available? It is conceivable that HP
might have modified parts of the kernel anyway.

=====