[svlug] HP's Quickplay - Where's the Source?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Dec 29 23:41:36 PST 2004

Quoting Serban Giuroiu (gyzmobro at yahoo.com):

> Someone I know recently got a hold of a new HP laptop equipped with
> HP's Quickplay software. This is a Linux-based media suite for playing
> music and DVD's without having to boot into another operating system.

As you found out, it's a proprietary application, issued (bundled) to
purchasers of HP machines as a binary executable.

> Legally and rightfully, the source code should be available as the
> kernel is licensed under the GPL....

Although I'm sympathetic, HP's compliance with the kernel's licence
terms requires only that its codebases _linking_ to it be compatibly
licensed.  Programs merely running on top of the kernel pose no
compatibility challenges, and so may be under any terms.

The best remedy, if you prefer open-source / free software, is a
long-term one:  Just not use the proprietary stuff -- and maybe even
help write stuff you (and I) prefer, or help with documentation,
community support, etc.

Not the answer you were hoping for, I know, but I hope it helps.

--
Cheers,                                      Hardware:  The part you kick.
Rick Moen                                    Software:  The part you boot.
rick at linuxmafia.com