[svlug] advice on video capture/edit

Mike Castle dalgoda at ix.netcom.com
Sun Dec 26 21:58:16 PST 2004

On Sun, Dec 26, 2004 at 09:02:28PM -0800, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Fri, Dec 24, 2004 at 12:18:27AM -0800, Mike Castle (dalgoda at ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> > I'm plowing through a bunch of docs now, but I thought I'd throw out a
> > request to get advice here as well.
>
> Kino is going to be your general first best bet here.

That one has come up a lot in my research.  I'm definitely going to give it
a try.

> Again:  you're going to want X and probably a more beefy box.  1-2 GHz,
> 512 MiB RAM, and fast disk.  Anything less risks dropped frames.

Darn.  I was planning on editing and watching it on my faster box,
and at worst, using X remotely to start/stop an app (better would be
able to run something from a command line to capture).  My faster box gets
used for a lot of compilation, so I was hoping to designate the slower
machine as sort of a ripping station, and use the bigger one for editing.

Well, that and the capture care is already in that machine and I was hoping
to not have to move it.  :->

Thanks to all for the various feed backs.

mrc
--
     Mike Castle      dalgoda at ix.netcom.com      www.netcom.com/~dalgoda/