[svlug] advice on video capture/edit

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sun Dec 26 21:02:28 PST 2004

on Fri, Dec 24, 2004 at 12:18:27AM -0800, Mike Castle (dalgoda at ix.netcom.com) wrote:
> I'm plowing through a bunch of docs now, but I thought I'd throw out a
> request to get advice here as well.

Kino is going to be your general first best bet here.

> I have a BUNCH of vcr tapes full of time shifted recordings (the fact
> that some of them are being time shifted by 6 years is not important
> for this discussion :-).  Full meaning usually 6-8 hours recorded on
> SLP.

> I'd like to start the process of moving all of those tapes onto my
> computer so maybe I'd actually get around to watching them.  Just to
> be challenging, I want to try to do this with the hardware that I
> have, which means an older bt848 based card with only video, some
> random sound card, currently in a machine with a 450MHz Pentium III (I
> can move this to a dual 1000MHz or an 335 AMD-K6 if either would work
> better).  Oh yeah, and no X running on it.

My experience with video capture is limited, but you're likely *not*
going to be happy with this kit.

> Now, I would like to not just record one tape to file and stop there.
> I'd like to be able to quickly separate out however many shows are on
> one tape and put each one into it's own file.

Kino will do this.

Again:  you're going to want X and probably a more beefy box.  1-2 GHz,
512 MiB RAM, and fast disk.  Anything less risks dropped frames.

Peace.

    It is merry in hall when beards wag all.