[svlug] Suse was: Which linux distro for production ?

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Fri Dec 24 13:29:07 PST 2004

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 10:20:53 -0800

> Quoting Ivan Sergio Borgonovo (mail at webthatworks.it):
>
> > I think it is just marketing + their approach, not telephone bill.
>
> That's not what _other_ European Linux users tell me, but I really
> have nothing at stake in this dispute.  I'm just relating what I've
> heard, and what seems logical to me.

Curious. I live in one of the European countries that have the highest
phone bills compared to income and I don't feel this problem around
me. I'd think in France (Marc still any link with the "old Europe"?)
and Germany it should be better and they are 1/3 of Europe.

> My point?  That the existence of official packages and a defined set
> of official maintainers serves several important purposes:  There's

Actually SUSE's repositories aren't that "unofficial" during last year
most of the packager published their sig. I just hope they DON'T have
just FTP access to the main repository.
But anyway it seems that things are evolving.
Many of them have several years experience doing packages for SUSE and
infact quality sometimes exceeds "semi-official" SUSE's packages.

> > Anyway for "desktop" boxes assistance is limited to installation.

> I'm astonished to hear of anything else, from distribution support
> staff, really.

Yeah I find it pretty normal too ;)
What I was hoping was some installation support for the few packages
they provide at the moment as "semi-official" updates.
QA for "semi-official" KDE sometimes is not as good as I'd like.

> > Anyway could you give me a list of packages you decided to install
> > from unstable?
>
> Pulling this from memory:  galeon, mozilla-browser, mozilla-firefox,
> openoffice.org, abiword, abiword-plugins, mrproject.
>
> > Just to have a rough idea about which packages you thought were
> > worth/safe to install from sid?
>
> Note:  I use only selected pieces from KDE and GNOME, not those
> whole things.  Someone devoted to one of those "desktops" might be
> moved to pull those from sid/unstable, if there happen at the time
> of upgrade to be problems resulting from some pieces emerging from
> quarantine before others.

Yep. Too complex.

BTW I installed unstable as a desktop. I installed sarge as a
testing server mmm more than 6 months ago... well it improved
noticeably.
I'll move one of my main desktop to sarge once I get more used to it
on the guinea pig.

I'm still thinking about "testing for production" since I still don't
feel that confident to be able to manage possible hiccup.
Of course somehow I like to use a "moving" product: on one side it
force me to move on the other it gives me the opportunity to move.