[svlug] Exchange server for Linux?

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Thu Dec 23 18:39:40 PST 2004

on Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 06:02:08PM -0800, Craig Oda (craigoda at gmail.com) wrote:
> I ask this question a few times a year and am still looking for a
> suitable answer.  We're a small office running Windows XP clients with
> a central Linux file server.  The Linux server works great.  I
> recently hired a consultant to keep the file server and Windows XP
> server backed up using Retrospect on a Mac OS X box.
>
> I've been trying to set up shared calendaring for clients of Microsoft
> Outlook calendaring program.  I want to avoid putting a Windows server
> in the office with Exchange.  Cost is not a problem.  The problem is
> my lack of knowledge around Windows.

Samsung Contact:

    http://www.samsungcontact.com/en/product/

    A perfect match made in email heaven. Users love Outlook, and
    Samsung Contact provides the best email server for all of Outlook's
    great messaging and collaboration functions. This includes
    calendaring, scheduling, resources, public folders, delegation, and
    offline folders.

Haven't used it, though I've followed it for a few years.  This was
originally an HP product (OpenMail, if memory serves).

> Does anyone have any actual experience running a small office shared
> calendaring system where the clients are on Windows and the server is
> Linux?  Since we are a small office, we don't have technical staff on
> hand.  We have to do the best we can with our limited knowledge.

I've rarely seen small shops even use Exchange's calendaring, frankly.

Most recent experience used Exchange for local mail only, stored all
mail on desktops, and used direct POP/SMTP access to a third-party
mailserver for external mail.  Go figure.

Peace.

    Bush:  All we have to sell is fear itself.