[svlug] Exchange server for Linux?

Craig Oda craigoda at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 18:02:08 PST 2004

I ask this question a few times a year and am still looking for a
suitable answer.  We're a small office running Windows XP clients with
a central Linux file server.  The Linux server works great.  I
recently hired a consultant to keep the file server and Windows XP
server backed up using Retrospect on a Mac OS X box.

I've been trying to set up shared calendaring for clients of Microsoft
Outlook calendaring program.  I want to avoid putting a Windows server
in the office with Exchange.  Cost is not a problem.  The problem is
my lack of knowledge around Windows.

I've seen products like kolab2 (http://kolab.org/), Bynari, and
openexchange.  But I don't know how good they are as a shared calendar
server.  I also don't quite understand how shared calendaring works.

Does anyone have any actual experience running a small office shared
calendaring system where the clients are on Windows and the server is
Linux?  Since we are a small office, we don't have technical staff on
hand.  We have to do the best we can with our limited knowledge.

-- Craig