[svlug] Proper use of apt-get/sources.list file

Skip Evans skip at venomouspenguin.com
Tue Dec 21 17:14:27 PST 2004

Hello all,

I just installed Xandros Desktop OS 2.0 on a workstation
here and the sources.list file contains only:

deb http://xnv2.xandros.com/2.0/pkg xandros2.0-xn main contrib non-free

I also did an: apt-get update and apt-get upgrade
to bring the install up to date.

My issue, though, is that with this one entry,
apt-get is unable to find the packages I wish
to install, like gaim, gftp and a few others.

I have, in the past, messed up bad by not really
understanding apt-get, and changed the
sources.list entry rather arbitrarily, thus getting
myself into trouble. I think it was this sloppy
mod to sources.list that caused even updates
to fail.

I've read up about apt-get, but found nowhere
that clued me in to how I can change this file
to have access to more packages without messing
things up the way I did before, when I just replaced
the xandros entry for debian entries.

What is the proper procedure for changing this
file?

I think I know have an up to date Xandros Desktop
2.0 install, after the apt-get update and apt-get upgrade,
but I sure don't want to mess up the sources.list
file and get myself in trouble again.

Skip