[svlug] Which linux distro for production ?

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sun Dec 19 18:18:31 PST 2004

Rick Moen writes:
> Quoting Ivan Sergio Borgonovo (mail at webthatworks.it):
> > If I interpret right, I can obtain the same effect defining
> > APT::Default-Release "testing", including in sources.list, testing and
> > unstable and then using apt -t unstable package as you suggested.
>
> I think so.  As noted, that's not how *I* did it.

Yes, that works.  I've been doing that on one system for quite a
while now, with no noticable problems.

The only disadvantage is that I haven't figured out a way to ask
the question "Which packages on my system right now are from
unstable?"  This info must be embedded in the system somewhere,
or else dist-upgrade wouldn't know where to get updates (or do
they all just revert?) but Debian doesn't seem to offer many
options for queries about repositories.  Pinning does have the
advantage that you have a file that you control which specifies
which packages come from which repository.

Someone asked "Why mix?  In that case, why not just use
unstable for everything?"  One possible reason is that once
sarge releases (supposedly fairly soon), it will start getting
security updates, and will become a very good choice for a desktop
system.  A year ago that wasn't a good argument, but it might be now.

(That's not why I have a mixed system; my reason was much less
logical, essentially "Now that I'm running sid on the desktop, I
should probably install a sarge somewhere too," followed by the
discovery that there were a few apps I wanted which sarge didn't
have.)

	...Akkana