[svlug] Which linux distro for production ?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Dec 18 21:02:32 PST 2004

Quoting Ivan Sergio Borgonovo (mail at webthatworks.it):

> SUSE doesn't seem to support anything other than patches.

Yes, that's my impression, too.  My understanding is that they're
oriented towards periodic releases and only minimal updating between
releases because their core adherents are in European countries where
most Internet bandwidth is metered by the minute.

To a first approximation, my assumption would be that, if you're a SUSE
user, you intend to follow the SUSE way of doing things until you have
compelling reasons to the contrary, and, in particular, you would be
upgrading using SUSE's _own_ packages because, well, SUSE's what you
decided to run.

Anyhow, I'm sure people will implement whatever best suits them.

> I think this should be enough to let me try.

Cool.  I do recommend the apt_preferences(5) manpage, for details,
including what the APT::Default-Release keyword does and doesn't do.  My
own setup depends on the system's default behaviour in the absence of
that keyword being defined.

> Isn't sid the invariant name of unstable?

Yes, but unstable's the functional name, like stable.  sid is a branch
name, like woody and sarge.

> OK, let's put it in another way. It is better to have unstable too in
> sources.list than just testing for security reasons.

Sure, but solely because it makes slightly easier the mechanics of
fetching desired patches you read about in Debian Security Team notices,
as opposed to using wget and "dpkg -i".

> If I interpret right, I can obtain the same effect defining
> APT::Default-Release "testing", including in sources.list, testing and
> unstable and then using apt -t unstable package as you suggested.

I think so.  As noted, that's not how *I* did it.  Having done my
experiment using, instead, "Pin-Priority: 50" for all unstable-branch
packages in /etc/apt/preferences, I got the system behaviour I wanted
and stopped there.

--
Cheers,   There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know quaternary,
Rick Moen those who only recently figured out Ron Fabre's "ternary" .sig, those