[svlug] the art of pinning

steve steve at itsage.com
Sat Dec 18 14:40:17 PST 2004

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:

>It seems surely more reasonable to mix unstable and testing rather
>than testing and stable because testing receives security updates
>later than sid. Stable and sid may be too different to be worth to try
>to mix without major PITA.

This is one of the reasons backports.org is so nice.  Backports takes
packages from testing/unstable, and recompiles them to run on stable.
The result is an updated binary, without having to replace half the libs
on your system.  With 'pinning' you can get into the 9 levels of
dependency hell - updating one program can 'require' updating lots of
core system libraries.  For instance, take a look at the Samba
dependencies - cups,ldap, kerberos, etc etc.  Thats a lot of stuff to
download and change (and possibly break other things on your box..) just
to try out a new package.  Another nice thing is the package version
names used - if a newer version of a package becomes available in stable
or security or whatever, the backport package will be replaced - just
like with 'normal' package upgrades.  This makes it very transparent,
you don't have to worry about remembering to 'un-pin' stuff when updates
become available.

In short, backports has made my live a lot easier, YMMV.

Steve