[svlug] setting up vpn road-warriors

George Georgalis george at galis.org
Sat Dec 18 12:04:23 PST 2004

I went with a Linksys RV042 for "road-warrior" vpn access to samba
etc. Its setup and operation has been a breeze (I would appreciate a
more succinct technical overview and operation instructions, at least as
a supplement).

If it's off topic for help supporting $M users on a linux site, stop
reading here, and I know this is border line already.

Here is the problem. Setup of the Windows 2000/XP VPN client is not
exactly point and click [1], there are far too many complicated
steps to expect of impatient users to configure; and if something
should go wrong, I can't imagine the hoops to diagnosis and repair,
least walking a user through a repair on the phone.

I would expect someone (if not windows) would have come up with a
(basic) GUI for the vpn configuration. Does anyone know of one,
commercial or open?

// George

Links:

[1]
How to Configure IPSec Tunneling in Windows 2000

http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1519
http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1526
http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1528
How to Configure IPSec Tunneling in Windows 2000 (and XP)

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/planning/security/ipsecsteps.asp
Step-by-Step Guide to Internet Protocol Security

http://www.systemexperts.com/win2k/HardenWin2K.html
This white paper provides a method for getting a Win2K server to a "secure" baseline.

http://labmice.techtarget.com/networking/ipsec.htm
IPSec Resources for Windows 2000

http://www.jacco2.dds.nl/networking/win2000xp-freeswan.html
Using a Linux L2TP/IPsec VPN server with Windows 2000/XP

http://vpn.ebootis.de/
Windows 2000 / XP as VPN Client

http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1783
http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1785
http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1792
Wireless Attacks and Penetration Testing

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org

--
  http://www.kernel-panic.org