[svlug] Outbound email and MAPS and RBL and AOL and ugh!

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sat Dec 18 04:21:51 PST 2004

on Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 01:04:06PM -0500, Walt Reed (svlug at linuxguy.com) wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 09:34:49AM -0800, Mike Castle said:
> > On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 12:15:57PM -0500, Walt Reed wrote:
> > > One option is to create a "moron list" of domains that employ DNSBL's in
> > > a reckless manor, and forward just those emails through your ISP's mail
> > > relay.
> > >
> > > I do this with Exim - it's trivial.
> >
> > If you just configure exim to always forward your mail through your ISP,
> > then you don't have to worry about maintaining a moron list.
>
> Several issues with this including:

> * Many ISP's email servers are not reliable

Mail service and 'net connectivity need not be tied.  You generally
*can* send mail through your ISP.  You aren't _forced_ to do so,
however.  Third-party mail service providers exist.

> * Some ISP's only allow you to use addresses that contain their domain

See above.

> * You lose the ability to actually track what happened to the email
>   completely.

Wrong.

See above.

>   ("my email to you is stuck in the spool because your email
>   server isn't accepting connections...") This is huge actually. Many
>   times you won't know that an email can't be delivered for DAYS while
>   the relay continues to retry.

Note that for the case, you may have to pay for the service (gee, stun,
shock, suprise....).

Note that if the combined cost of 'Net connectivity + email service is
sufficiently high, you may want to find another ISP whose TOS allows for
servers, and whose QOS doesn't lead to widespread DNSBL listings of
their IP space.

Peace.