[svlug] Outbound email and MAPS and RBL and AOL and ugh!

Marc MERLIN marc_news at merlins.org
Fri Dec 17 17:10:10 PST 2004

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 06:10:22PM -0800, Daevid Vincent wrote:
> I used to have a sharp Zarus and since sourceforge in their infinite wisdom
> decided to fsck everybody with a dynamic IP server like me (in some magical

Since I happen to know the guy who did that :) just for reference, this
has been there from before Zauruses existed.

> reverse mail lookup thingy), I had to sell it b/c I could never post to the
> list to get help! UGH!

That's bull. You sold it because you refused to change your mail setup
to conform to current accepted practises.

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 09:36:14PM -0500, David Hummel wrote:
> Sorry this doesn't address your question, but I'm guessing from this
> that your MTA is not configured to be using comcast's SMTP server as a
> smart/relay host.  If it isn't, it should be.  This avoids the whole
> "all dynamic IP's are assumed to be spam/virus relays" issue, and your
> mail will be delivered successfully.

Exactly.

This is not the internet where you used to be able to send mail from
anywhere anymore. Big sites gets flooded with spam, and take all the
measures they can.

Marc