[svlug] Re: GPS on linux (was: VDQ : Is there a least...)

Beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Fri Dec 17 14:19:46 PST 2004

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:28:14 -0800, Ian Kluft wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 09:57:48AM -0500, Beartooth wrote:
>> I'm getting withdrawal symptoms from my GPS, which I can make only the
>> lesser half my normal use of without being able to interface it with a PC
>> and proprietary software from Garmin, DeLorme, and several more, as I used
>> to till I got rid of W98.
> [...]
>
> What kind of GPS is it?  When asking for help, you need to give these kinds
> of details.  If I can make an assumption from your mention of Garmin...

You can indeed. It's a Garmin Etrex Vista. And I see that I wasn't very
clear about another point : I already have several hundred dollars' worth
of CDs with software and especially data, as well as a lot already
generated by the Vista, to shift back and forth. When you live on a small
pension, that's a hunk.

> Garmin published their protocol.  So it has made them very popular among
> Open Source software developers.

Wow! I *am* behind. Last time I talked to Garmin, they wouldn't even give
me the time of day. And I presented it in the first place as an
opportunity for them to gain market share.

> I can't even begin to list the number
> of programs which can talk to a Garmin GPS.  But if you assumed they weren't
> out there, it's time to look again.  Here are a few:
>    http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=garmin&section=projects&Go.x=0&Go.y=0
>    http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&exact=1&words=garmin

Yippee ki-yay! Some of that looks really, really hopeful. At least if it's
idiot-proof; several do say "end user" ...

> Using someone else's gpstrans program to download data, I made an
> Open Source program called "rideplot" which can plot a track from my
> Garmin GPS into a PNG image.

Is that the one at the TU in Vienna that I found on google linux?

And may I cross-post to Novalug (Northern Virginia)?
--
Beartooth Autodidact, curmudgeonly codger learning linux
Remember I know precious little of what I'm talking about!