GPS on linux (was: [svlug] VDQ : Is there a least...)

Ian Kluft ikluft at thunder.sbay.org
Fri Dec 17 10:28:14 PST 2004

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 09:57:48AM -0500, Beartooth wrote:
> I'm getting withdrawal symptoms from my GPS, which I can make only the
> lesser half my normal use of without being able to interface it with a PC
> and proprietary software from Garmin, DeLorme, and several more, as I used
> to till I got rid of W98.
[...]

What kind of GPS is it?  When asking for help, you need to give these kinds
of details.  If I can make an assumption from your mention of Garmin...

Garmin published their protocol.  So it has made them very popular among
Open Source software developers.  I can't even begin to list the number
of programs which can talk to a Garmin GPS.  But if you assumed they weren't
out there, it's time to look again.  Here are a few:
   http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=garmin&section=projects&Go.x=0&Go.y=0
   http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&exact=1&words=garmin

Using someone else's gpstrans program to download data, I made an
Open Source program called "rideplot" which can plot a track from my
Garmin GPS into a PNG image.