[svlug] VDQ : Is there a least vile MS-OS??

Bill Crooke bill at thecrookes.com
Fri Dec 17 10:13:40 PST 2004

Beartooth wrote:

>Very Dumb Question :
>
>I'm getting withdrawal symptoms from my GPS, which I can make only the
>lesser half my normal use of without being able to interface it with a PC
>and proprietary software from Garmin, DeLorme, and several more, as I used
>to till I got rid of W98.
>
>Tried Crossover Office, and neither of those two big ones would even
>install properly.
>
>So unless I should discover at the last minute that VMware can run them
>under FC1 or FC3, I guess my only option remaining is to buy a cheap used
>MS machine from some graduating senior at Tech, wipe everything I can off
>it, and keep it off the Net. I *know* I hate W98. Is any other MS OS any
>less vile? Especially for memory- and graphics-intensive applications?

If you are looking for open source GPS programs that run on linux I use
the following:

GPS Drive
http://www.kraftvoll.at/software/
Has great interface with maps, but can't upload/download routes and
waypoints.

GPS Babel
Great for upload/download of routes and waypoints. Also translates to
many different
formats. Works with Garmin or Magellan.

GPSMan
http://www.ncc.up.pt/gpsman/wGPSMan.html
Great for editing tracks, routes, and waypoints. Also can
upload/download to Garmin.

Bill Crooke