[svlug] Outbound email and MAPS and RBL and AOL and ugh!

Walt Reed svlug at linuxguy.com
Fri Dec 17 10:04:06 PST 2004

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 09:34:49AM -0800, Mike Castle said:
> On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 12:15:57PM -0500, Walt Reed wrote:
> > One option is to create a "moron list" of domains that employ DNSBL's in
> > a reckless manor, and forward just those emails through your ISP's mail
> > relay.
> >
> > I do this with Exim - it's trivial.
>
> If you just configure exim to always forward your mail through your ISP,
> then you don't have to worry about maintaining a moron list.

Several issues with this including:
* Many ISP's email servers are not reliable
* Some ISP's only allow you to use addresses that contain their domain
* You lose the ability to actually track what happened to the email
  completely. ("my email to you is stuck in the spool because your email
  server isn't accepting connections...") This is huge actually. Many
  times you won't know that an email can't be delivered for DAYS while
  the relay continues to retry.
* You and the recipient support TLS yet the relay does not