[svlug] Outbound email and MAPS and RBL and AOL and ugh!

Walt Reed svlug at linuxguy.com
Fri Dec 17 09:15:57 PST 2004

On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 08:37:48AM -0800, Akkana Peck said:
> Daevid Vincent wrote:
> > > I appreciate the severity of the spam situation out there, but I think it
> > > sucks that I can't get a static IP anymore for residential use. I run a
> > > linux server that doesn't relay.
>
> J. Paul Reed writes:
> > You can get a static IP for residential use. You just have to be willing to
> > pay for it.
>
> Beware: static IP alone doesn't protect you from RBL type blocking.
> For example, SBC doesn't distinguish between residential static
> and dynamic IP blocks, and their reverse DNS makes every DSL site
> look like a dynamic IP site.  So some sites block all SBC DSL
> regardless of whether it's static or dynamic, or whether there's
> a registered domain associated with the IP.

Some DNSBL services and ISP's (Roadrunner) block all addresses where the
ISP won't set the RDNS for you. Even if you have a static address, and
the word "static" appears in the RDNS, it's not enough in many cases. In
extreme cases (Roadrunner) the problem ISP won't even talk to you unless
you are personally listed at ARIN as the delegated owner of the IP block.

One option is to create a "moron list" of domains that employ DNSBL's in
a reckless manor, and forward just those emails through your ISP's mail
relay.

I do this with Exim - it's trivial.

If you wanted to get nasty, you can add a footer to each email that you
send to a "moron" domain telling the recipient to complain to his/her
ISP/Network administrator.

It's one thing to be anti-spam. It's another to be a total jerk about
it, and recklessly reject legit email at your customer's expense.