[svlug] Which linux distro for production ?

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Thu Dec 16 22:43:47 PST 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 16:35:17 -0800

> So, your choice logically depends on what constraints, experience,
> and preferences you have, and you've not yet described those.  Maybe
> you should re-pose your question with those things included?

OK. I'll do it for him ;)

Suppose I want to zero acquisition costs. I'm not interested in
customer care or installation assistance but I'm interested in having
"server packages" (apache, php, perl, mysql, pgsql, postfix,
exim...) up to date. I'd like to have something that do "apt-get
dist-upgrade" without being a major PITA.
Something that can really last years (3 to 6) cos a) I can do
something like apt-get dist-upgrade or b) I'll continue to have
patches.
Suppose I'm starting to be interested in power management, but no
fancy HW and that I'm starting to look at 2.6 kernels (or generally
to better kernel performances for threading and SMP) and I'd like to
have the chance to try it on production somewhere in the near future.
Suppose I'm not interested in desktop. Suppose I want a very
supportive community or at least a large user base who may share my
problem.
I'm not interested in certification, Oracle support and such kind of
stuff.

It seems to me that the distros that match most points are Debian and
Gentoo. Slackware (?). FreeBSD(?).
I'd like to know if there is something that have a mix of the
characteristics of both or if I'm waiting a miracle.