[svlug] Domain Registrar Reliability and Switching Interruption

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Dec 16 15:26:10 PST 2004

Quoting Ian Kluft (ikluft at thunder.sbay.org):

> I use DomainDiscover.com.  They have phone support, so they're not the
> cheapest.  ($25/year, with discounts if you have a lot of domains.)

I've dealt with them, and second Ian's recommendation and comments.   At
the time, it was nice to know that with them, unlike with Gandi.net and
the other top-ranked registrars, it would have been possible to drive
down and bang on their SoCal countertop if there was a problem.

> I originally found them in 2000 from a registrar comparison survey where
> DomainDiscover ranked well on all three of the survey's criteria: price,
> support and contract language.

Ditto.  ;->

> I don't know if NetSoil still does this.  But they failed to send
> confirmation messages for some my transfer requests.

I continue to hear that and other disturbing claims about their
behaviour, from the few people I know who didn't long ago flee
elsewhere.