[svlug] Domain Registrar Reliability and Switching Interruption

William R Ward bill at wards.net
Thu Dec 16 13:49:36 PST 2004

Mark S Bilk writes:
>Hi  folks,
>
>I registered my domain (cosmicpenguin.com) with
>domainnameregistration.com four years ago, because they
>always had someone available for telephone support (not
>that I've needed it except at the beginning).  Now they don't,
>and their minimum rate of $70 for two years (they won't renew
>for one year) is exorbitant compared to others.
>
>Two questions:
>
>1. Which registrars are cheap, reliable, look like they will be
>in business for years to come, and have phone support for
>the transfer of a domain to them?

I use joker.com ($12/year).  They don't have phone support, but their
email support is good and they have an excellent system for managing
your DNS online.  I don't know how you would tell if a company is
going to be in business for years to come, but I've not seen any
indications they won't be.

>2. Can I transfer my domain to another registrar without
>getting _any_ interruption of my e-mail due to interruption
>of DNS or anything else?

If your DNS is not hosted with the existing registrar, no problem.
Just use the same name server info with the new registrar.

If your DNS is hosted with the existing registrar you need to make
arrangements for a new DNS setup.

--Bill.

--
William R Ward               bill at wards.net             http://bill.wards.net