[svlug] Domain Registrar Reliability and Switching Interruption

Scott Hess scott.hess at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 13:47:27 PST 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 13:06:40 -0800, Mark S Bilk <mark at cosmicpenguin.com> wrote:
> Two questions:
>
> 1. Which registrars are cheap, reliable, look like they will be
> in business for years to come, and have phone support for
> the transfer of a domain to them?

Hmm.  Well, I transfered all of my domains to namebargain.com, and
they seem to be working well for me.  I've not needed to call tech
support.  I think I traded an email with someone, at some point, but,
well, it must have went well because I didn't move to another
registrar.  They're a sub of register.com, so I think they should be
in business for awhile.

The main thing I liked about them is that I could handle everything
online without a bunch of unlikely "security" crap like network
solutions always put me through.  Come to think of it, namebargain
hasn't bothered me AT ALL.  I only see email from them when I'm making
changes, none of this "OMG, you better come to our site and review
some probably-unrelated, but ambiguously-phrased crap" that I used to
get from network solutions.

> 2. Can I transfer my domain to another registrar without
> getting _any_ interruption of my e-mail due to interruption
> of DNS or anything else?

Perhaps.  This really depends on both registrars having their acts
together, and, well, there's not a lot of incentive for the registrar
you're extracting the domain from to do a good job.  Additionally, if
your current registrar were capable, you probably wouldn't be wanting
to move in the first place!

You can make certain that your nameservers are all in place, and do
your best to make certain there won't be emergency issues there (you
don't want to have to change the primary nameserver while the
registration is in transit).  You can set your DNS ttls high (so that
people who routinely send you email hopefully hit a cached entry), and
you can hope for luck.  When I did the transfer of my main domain from
netsol to namebargain, it got messed up, the transfer occurred, but
the nameserver info got screwed up, so I was out of the loop (for less
than a day, I modified my namebargain settings and it was fixed at the
next push).  But 4-5 other domains transferred without a hitch.

Keep in mind that these things bite everyone, even large multinational
companies who have a half dozen people paying attention get screwed by
domain transfers.  Unfortunately, there's not a ton you can do.

-scott