[svlug] Which linux distro for production ?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Thu Dec 16 12:56:06 PST 2004

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 12:40:02PM -0800, linux romeo wrote:
> well linux/unix is a OS that is supposed to run for years
> without complain once correctly configured is int it?

Only if you went under the incorrect assumption that there are absolutely
no security holes in any of the software (including kernel and userspace)
that you installed.

Even the 2.5-year-old "Woody" branch of Debian (the current 'stable' branch)
gets security updates on occasion.  (The last time was less than 2 months ago)

And it will at one point be surpassed by "Sarge", which is the current
'testing' branch.  That will bring a slough of updates which would
presumably increase functionality of the system.  But, although it will have
all gone through some rigorous testing, once it gets into even wider use,
some bugs and security issues will crop up.

For the most part, though, a Debian Stable install is install-n-go, with
very little maintenance required. (From my limited experience, at least.)
And I think that was kind of the point.

I'll admit a few things.  The only other distro I've personally run was
RedHat, and I stopped at around version 7.  I've never used FC.
Also, I haven't been paying very close attention to this thread. ;)

-bill!
bill at newbreedsoftware.com                               Have I been helpful?
http://newbreedsoftware.com/    http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=billkendrick