[svlug] Which linux distro for production ?

Emmanuel Mayssat emmanuel_mayssat at lynceantech.com
Thu Dec 16 10:13:40 PST 2004

Here we resell production systems based on linux for medical imaging.
Hence, those are not _internal_ production systems.
In that case there is only one choice.... RH.
The reason is 3rd party support.

3rd parties QA their software at least on RH given that it is the most
widespread distribution. Several of them offer tainted modules on RH
7-8. In other words, 3rd party may support linux, but only the RH, and
only the v7 and v8 ( and only _thinking_ about going to v9). Forget
about Fedora and other distro....

Given the ongoing development at RH and their need for hardware support,
RH has modified quite a bit the kernel. But it is easier to change your
kernel than to change your entire distribution.

There are also issues related to business continuity.
i.e. most linux admins/programmers have worked on /tried RH.