[svlug] Which linux distro for production ?

Joe Buck Joe.Buck at synopsys.COM
Wed Dec 15 12:26:38 PST 2004

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 01:38:38PM -0500, stripes wrote:
> Oh boy.. a can of worms! :)
>
> I run FC3 on a production box, but my preference is Debian unstable.

Neither of those seem ideal for a production box that's going to do a
particular task and Just Work, not because they aren't good, but because
both are intended to be cutting-edge, newest code, with a lot less concern
for occasional breakage than is ideal if you just want to get a job done.

> It's up to you which one you use. What type of production box are you
> running (mailserver, webserver, etc)?

There's something to be said for FC3's SELinux-hardened Apache server;
it has the potential to be a lot harder to hack (and if freedesktop.org
were running it, the hole in TWiki wouldn't have given the attackers
the ability to trash the server).  But it's still experimental.

At this point, if you're considering Fedora, I'd think FC2 would be better
for production; it's solid (definitely a more robust release than FC1 was
at first), and not so experimental but still reasonably current, with
good security support.