[svlug] How to repair filesystem error?

Awais Ali aali at i2telecom.com
Thu Dec 2 13:13:43 PST 2004

James Sparenberg wrote:

>L.E.A.R.  Linux Emergency Automated Recovery.  Put a micro Linux with ...

Will the Linux Automated Recovery be able to somehow also recreate the
necessary boot files? Such a function would have come handy for my
present situation. Thanks to everybodies wonderful suggestions I was
able to run fsck on the root partition and it found hundreds of lost
iNodes and wrong references and finally the system boots but I am
confronted with the following error message.

Server Authorization directory (daemon/ServAuthDir) is set to
/var/gdm but this does not exist. Please correct gdm
configuration /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf and restart gdm

Is there any way to recreate /var/gdm and whatever it contained?

Thanks
Ali