[svlug] Making a hard-disk UNbootable?

Jeremy Hunt jh-svlug at frostypenguin.net
Wed Dec 1 18:02:34 PST 2004

Greg Retkowski wrote:

> When I first plug in and turn on a machine it comes up, figures out
> the (new) harddisk is unbootable and drops through to the PXE boot
> which installs the system over the network.. great!
> The problem is when the harddisk has already been installed once, I
> can't figure out how to make the harddisk appropriately unbootable
> that the system will drop-through to PXE again. I have tried:
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1024 bc=512

I do this all the time and have noticed one thing that if there are
other drives in the system (all my systems with multiple internal disks
are mirrored, not sure if that's the *specific* cause of this)  this
trick does not work unless I 'dd' both drives. Makes sense since the
BIOS is just walking through the list of available drives.

-J