[svlug] Making a hard-disk UNbootable?

Mike Castle dalgoda at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 17:09:44 PST 2004

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 17:01:34 -0800, James Colannino <james at colannino.org> wrote:
> Mike Castle wrote:
> > As a work around, would etherboot help you?  Yeah, seems silly to boot
> > etherboot to do PXE when your network card already can but still....
>
> Or, if you can get into the BIOS, just change the boot order of the
> drives :)

Right.  But remember, in the original post, he was trying to do this
without having to be in front of the machine.

To quote:
Yes I can swap boot order repeatedly in the BIOS but I rather not do
that; it'd be nice to be able to scrub and re-install the system without
being in front of a console.
End quote.

One can easily (dd if=/path/to/something/interesting of=dev/hda ;
reboot) remotely, but it's tougher to tweak the BIOS.