[svlug] ISO-8859-1 input (was: Linux for my mom?)

Marc MERLIN marc_news at merlins.org
Sun Nov 30 23:05:36 PST 2003

On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 06:38:54PM -0800, David Hummel wrote:
> How does one input ISO-8859-1 characters (or any non-ASCII characters
> for that matter)?  I suppose it depends on the shell or editor one is
> using, but what tools/editors/environments are people using to
> accomplish this?

Either compose or xmodmap, but there again, most distros don't ship a
xmodmap that would allow you do to that (including debian :( )

I don't use the new XFree keyboard mapping system buecause I'm not smart
enough to understand it. I just stick to plain xmodmap, like in the good old
days:
(use the right windows keys or right control and alt if you uncomment them)

! $Id: //depot/ops/corp/grhat/tree/etc/X11/Xmodmap#7 $
!
! written by Marc MERLIN <marc_soft at merlins.org> 1995-2003
!
!! For details, see:
! http://www.uni-ulm.de/~s_smasch/X11/Xmodmap
! http://www.uni-ulm.de/~s_smasch/X11/keysyms.txt
! http://www.uni-ulm.de/~s_smasch/X11/multi_keys.txt
!!
!! First, clear the modifiers (this lets you override the option key assignments
!! in the Xfree config file)
!!
!clear    shift
!clear    lock
clear    control
!! clearing and re-setting mod1 used to prevent Meta from working in Motif apps
clear    mod1
clear    mod2
clear    mod3
clear    mod4
clear    mod5

! This is still broken on many distributions
!keycode  22 = BackSpace

keycode  13 = 4 dollar EuroSign currency
keycode  14 = 5 percent EuroSign
keycode  15 = 6 asciicircum dead_circumflex dead_circumflex
keycode  49 = grave asciitilde dead_grave dead_grave
keycode  48 = apostrophe quotedbl dead_acute dead_diaeresis

! unfortunately, I never got colums 5-8 working some time after XFree
! 3.x anymore :( -- Marc
keycode  38 = a A agrave agrave acircumflex adiaeresis acircumflex adiaeresis
keycode  26 = e E eacute egrave ecircumflex ediaeresis ecircumflex ediaeresis
keycode  30 = u U ugrave ugrave ucircumflex udiaeresis ucircumflex udiaeresis
keycode  31 = i I icircumflex idiaeresis icircumflex idiaeresis icircumflex idiaeresis
keycode  32 = o O ocircumflex odiaeresis ocircumflex odiaeresis ocircumflex odiaeresis
keycode  54 = c C ccedilla cent ccedilla ccedilla ccedilla ccedilla

!
! Mode_switch is used select the 3rd and 4th mappings for keys
! Multi_key is the compose key, put it first on the line or it won't work
!

! Left Alt Key default
!keycode  64 = Alt_L Meta_L

! Scroll lock default
! keycode  78 = Scroll_Lock
! Let's set scroll lock to the multi key (compose)
keycode  78 = Multi_key

! Those are tempting to map for accents, but too many people use them by
! default, so leave them alone -- Marc
! Right Control Key default
! keycode 109 = Control_R
!keycode 109 = Multi_key Control_R

! Right Alt Key default
!keycode 113 = Alt_R Meta_R
!keycode 113 = Mode_switch Alt_R Meta_R

!! Windoze keys on  most keyboards are in  the way, so we define  them to the
!! nearest alt key, but you might want to use them for compose instead
!! left windoze key
!keycode 115 = Alt_L Meta_L
!! right windoze key
keycode 116 = Mode_switch
!! menu key
keycode 117 = Multi_key

!!
!! Now, we can set the modifiers
!! This way, it will work regardless of what entries we have in XF86Config
!! In theory, the order of the modifiers doesn't matter (except for mod1)
!!
!add     shift   = Shift_L Shift_R
!add     lock    = Caps_Lock
add     control = Control_L Control_R
add     mod1    = Alt_L Alt_R
add     mod2    = Num_Lock
! Mode_switch gives access to the 3rd and 4th mappings for keys
add     mod3    = Mode_switch
!add     mod4    =
! Multi_key is compose
add     mod5    = Multi_key