[svlug] Any stories concerning Gentoo?

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sun Nov 30 22:28:57 PST 2003

on Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 11:29:27AM -0800, Erik Steffl (steffl at bigfoot.com) wrote:
> Marc MERLIN wrote:

> > Yes, debian stable doesn't change much, which is why I would
> > recommend debian testing, which is a good middle between stable and
> > unstable
>
> I don't think so. either stable or unstable. testing is about the same
> as unstable but fixes propagate MUCH slower,

As do bugs.

Sure, if a bug does propogate to testing, you've got to do something
about it.  Like pin against the unstable fix.  But you only see these in
the case of subtle stuff that takes at least ten days to appear.  It's
the wipes-out-your-X-session, knocks over postgres, fonts-are-boxes
stuff that you don't have to deal with (except very, very rarely) in
testing.

With pins:  I run a largely testing box with a dozen or fewer packages
grabbed out of unstable.  Covers both bases.

Peace.

   Microsoft Trustworthy Computing:
       http://www.aaxnet.com/editor/edit033.html