[svlug] fvwm2 iconfification question...

Jeremy Zawodny Jeremy at Zawodny.com
Sun Nov 30 21:57:07 PST 2003

I'm not sure if anyone will know this, but it's finally time to try
and figure out what's going on.

For ages, I've had a heavily customized .fvwm2rc file that makes my
"desktop" workspace suit me quite well.  I have this line:

  # Button 2 + Alt/Meta in Window iconifies it.
  Mouse 2        W        M       Iconify

which means I can "alt + middle click" in a widow to iconify it.  For
a long time, when I did this, the icon would end up on the desktop
directly under my mouse.  I got quite good at placing icons exactly
where I thought I'd want them.

Then, maybe 1.5 years ago, apt-get installed a new version of fvwm2
and it changed the behavior in a slight but annoying way.  When I
iconify a window, fvwm2 puts the icon near the upper-left of the
screen and I then have to manually drag it to the location I'd like it
to stay.

Of course, I looked thru the relevant change log at the time but
didn't find much that seemed relevant.  And it's been a while since I
tried to find out what might have done it.

Anyway, I know there are at least a few die-hard fvwm2 users on the
list.  Anyone else know if there's a workaround or solution?

Jeremy
<Jeremy at Zawodny.com>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/