[svlug] procmail filter and logging

Robert Hajime Lanning lanning at lanning.cc
Sun Nov 30 20:22:56 PST 2003

<quote who="Brian Street">
> I have verbose set to on, and have since the first occurrence, and just
> cycle (and save) the log files every night. I have searched for header
> information, subject matter and even going through each email that I
> received during the time I supposedly received it - all to no avail. It
> looks like it never leaves a trace in the log file.

How is the log rotation done?

Copy then truncate has a race condition where you will lose any
entries between the copy and the truncate.  Though it is a popular
method, because you do not change the Inode number of the original file.

Best way, now days, is to move the original, touch a new file, then either
restart or somehow tell the program to re-open the log file.  (syslog accepts
the HUP signal for this.)

--
END OF LINE
       -MCP