[svlug] vsftpd now working

dfox dfox at m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com
Sun Nov 30 13:49:49 PST 2003

Somebody scribbled about [svlug] vsftpd now working
>in an xterm window and it will let you make changes. I found if I
>clicked on FTP it would open that up. I did and it did. I also
> opened up telnet...:-)

Please don't run telnetd. Especially if you are connected to the net
on that machine. I got rootkitted that way (several years ago,
running redhat 5.x something). First thing I did and continue to do
is not even have any telnetd service running on this thing.

And if you have sshd working you can get into the Linux machine from
Windows by using putty - then there's no need to have both sshd and
telnetd running on the system. Then there's the issue about educating
potential users of your system, in that telnet is not secure and sshd
is.

dfox at tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox at m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.