[svlug] vsftpd now working

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Nov 30 13:02:53 PST 2003

	Thanks to you all who told me that vsftp might be set up on my
computer. It was and all I had to do was learn how to turn it on and
that done how to fix the linux firewall to pass a call for ftp from
outside. I said I would look at the manual on the Red Hat 9 computer and
started with the configuration manual.

	On page 104 it said to change your firewall type

	redhat-config-securitylevel

in an xterm window and it will let you make changes. I found if I
clicked on FTP it would open that up. I did and it did. I also opened up
telnet...:-)

	Getting the vsftpd demon started was a mess but is simple if you
recall or are told what to do. I could have just typed
"redhat-config-services" and that would bring up a box and I could of
just clicked on vsftp and it would have been brought up at boot time. Or
you can type "service vsftp start" as root and it does the same thing.

	So it is proper for all of you to say RTFM!!! But I am glad you
didn't. Thanks for all the help.