[svlug] ssh to win98

Vince Hoang svlug at ml.altern8.net
Sun Nov 30 11:02:09 PST 2003

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 10:37:17AM -0800, dfox wrote:
> Karl Larsen writes:
>
> > It might make sense to forget ssh and just try and get a ftp
> >server going on my linux. I got a software device that you
> >used from Netscape that set up ftp in Red Hat 8. It didn't
> >come with the software
>
> Install proftpd.

But why even bother recommending an ftpd? We know Karl is running
sshd, since he is able to ssh to localhost on his linux box.

Sticking with an ssh-based solution means there is no extra
configuration that needs to be done on the linux end. No files to
edit, no services to enable, no paths to figure out. As a bonus,
the approach leaves you in a much better security posture than
trying to install any non-anonymous ftpd.

Run putty for remote terminal sessions and winscp for a cute gui
to transfer files. Google. Download. Install. Be done with it.

-Vince