[svlug] Any stories concerning Gentoo?

Marc MERLIN marc_news at merlins.org
Sun Nov 30 11:00:33 PST 2003

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 05:59:09AM -0700, Ron wrote:
> I followed your lead and went to Debian's site "The latest stable
> release of Debian <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/> is 3.0r1. The
> last update to this release was made on December 16th, 2002"
>
> Unfortunately, Linux is our primary platform for both server and
> workstation software, none of our systems, with their need for bug
> fixes, newly released products, etc., can wait around for that strange
> concept of a "stable release." Ex: I update Evolution (non-Ximian) to
> 1.4 last month... it required I obtain the latest version of 21
> packages... (after upgrading I dumped it for Thunderbird...)

As opposed to RH, where you cannot upgrade to evolution 1.4 at all, unless
you take the Ximian upgrade path, which is a path of no return due to how
much they replace and the dependencies

Yes, debian stable doesn't change much, which is why I would recommend
debian testing, which is a good middle between stable and unstable

Marc