[svlug] Shucks on vsftpd

Greg Larkin glarkin at sourcehosting.net
Sun Nov 30 10:10:30 PST 2003

At 01:06 PM 11/30/2003, Karl Larsen wrote:

>         I am about to give up on ever getting anything working. I
>thought it would be simple when I found in /etc/rd.d/inet.d/ the file
>vsftpd in this directory. But then my hope was dashed by looking at the
>file. It is a great complex bash file with absolutely NO idea what to
>change so it will load the vsftpd demon! Here is the file:

...deleted...

>         I include this file so you experts who can read it *MIGHT*
>figure out what to do to make this thing start when inet runs. This is
>just too complex for me. There seems to be no simple ftp demon!
>

>--
>
>                - Karl Larsen k5di Las Cruces,NM Az ScQRPions -

Karl,

All that file is for is to start up vsftpd when the machine starts - you
don't need to change it.  All you need to change is the
/etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf for your own environment.  You can then start/stop
the daemon manually with these commands (as root):

/etc/rc.d/init.d/vsftpd start
/etc/rc.d/init.d/vsftpd stop

If you want to start up vsftpd when the machine starts, just run
/usr/sbin/ntsysv and scroll down to the vsftpd entry.  Hit the spacebar to
select it for auto-start, then click "OK".  The daemon will be started at
next reboot.

Regards,
Greg
----
Greg Larkin
SourceHosting.Net, LLC
The new baseline for configuration management

glarkin at sourcehosting.net
http://www.sourcehosting.net/