[svlug] ftpd

Greg Larkin glarkin at sourcehosting.net
Sun Nov 30 10:06:32 PST 2003

At 12:34 PM 11/30/2003, Karl Larsen wrote:
>On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, Jesse wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 22:42, Jason Shupe wrote:
> > > you might need to add ftpd to /etc/hosts.allow
> > >
> > > ftpd: all
> > > ftpd: 192.168.1.1
> > >
> > > And in general I recommend proftpd, as wu is quite possibly worse than
> > > sendmail when it comes to security history...
> >
> > I don't think proftpd is much better than wu (I could be wrong),and the
> > ftp protocol is insecure in general. If you really need to use ftp, you
> > should take the time to lock it down as well as you can as mentioned
> > above (/etc/hosts.deny and /etc/hosts.allow).

> > Although I don't think any thing is secure about ftp, I'm pretty sure
> > redhat 9 uses vsftpd (very secure ftp). Just do an rpm -qa | grep vsftp
> > to find out the name of the rpm. Then do rpm -ql name_of_rpm to find out
> > what the man page is called.
>
>         I found that vsftp is loaded on my Red Hat 9 machine and found
>the config file at /etc/vsftpd/vstpd.conf. Will continue but wonder
>where the darn manual is? I can be blamed and asked to RTDM but I can't
>find the thing...:-)
>

> > --jesse

Hi Karl,

Take a look in /usr/share/doc/vsftpd-1.1.3 on your RH9 machine.  There are
a bunch of files in there, including installation information, an FAQ and
notes on tuning.

Most RPM packages will install extra documentation in /usr/share/doc.  If
you can't find a man page for a package, take a look in the doc directory -
you may find something there.

Also try "man vsftpd.conf" to find out how to configure the daemon.

Regards,
Greg
----
Greg Larkin
SourceHosting.Net, LLC
The new baseline for configuration management

glarkin at sourcehosting.net
http://www.sourcehosting.net/