[svlug] Shucks on vsftpd

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Nov 30 10:06:40 PST 2003

	I am about to give up on ever getting anything working. I
thought it would be simple when I found in /etc/rd.d/inet.d/ the file
vsftpd in this directory. But then my hope was dashed by looking at the
file. It is a great complex bash file with absolutely NO idea what to
change so it will load the vsftpd demon! Here is the file:

#!/bin/bash
#
# vsftpd      This shell script takes care of starting and stopping
#             standalone vsftpd.
#
# chkconfig: - 60 50
#              that answers incoming ftp service requests.
# processname: vsftpd
# config: /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf

# Source function library.
. /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

# Source networking configuration.
. /etc/sysconfig/network

# Check that networking is up.
[ ${NETWORKING} = "no" ] && exit 0

[ -x /usr/sbin/vsftpd ] || exit 0

RETVAL=0
prog="vsftpd"

start() {
        # Start daemons.

        if [ -d /etc/vsftpd ] ; then
                declare -a sites
                sites=(`ls /etc/vsftpd/*.conf`)
                site_count=${#sites[@]}
                index=0

                while [ "${index}" -lt "${site_count}" ] ; do
                        site=`basename ${sites[${index}]} .conf`
                        echo -n $"Starting $prog for $site: "
                                ( /usr/sbin/vsftpd ${sites[${index}]} &)
                                daemon true
                                RETVAL=$?
                        echo
                        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/$prog
                        let "index = index + 1"
                done
        else
                RETVAL=1
        fi
        return $RETVAL
}

stop() {
        # Stop daemons.
        echo -n $"Shutting down $prog: "
        killproc $prog
        RETVAL=$?
        echo
        [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && rm -f /var/lock/subsys/$prog
        return $RETVAL
}

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
  start)
        start
        ;;
  stop)
        stop
        ;;
  restart|reload)
        stop
        start
        RETVAL=$?
        ;;
  condrestart)
        if [ -f /var/lock/subsys/$prog ]; then
            stop
            start
            RETVAL=$?
        fi
        ;;
  status)
        status $prog
        RETVAL=$?
        ;;
  *)
        echo $"Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|condrestart|status}"
        exit 1
esac

exit $RETVAL

	I include this file so you experts who can read it *MIGHT*
figure out what to do to make this thing start when inet runs. This is
just too complex for me. There seems to be no simple ftp demon!