[svlug] ssh and windows

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sun Nov 30 07:26:43 PST 2003

on Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 03:04:05PM -0800, dfox (dfox at m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com) wrote:
> Karl Larsen writes:
> >	No! My Red Hat 9 Linux is the *SERVER*. I want to use ssh on
> >linux to connect to a win98 computer. Here is what I have.
> >
> >	Linux= 192.168.0.100 from ifconfig
> >	win98= 192.168.0.101 from pings and things
>
> That is better. I don't have a separate computer, but here is what I ended
> up doing in the interim for working from home at my Mom's house
> (brother's computers run Windows Me/XP).
>
> First, get putty. Apparently the old version I still had did not feature
> needed ssh forwarding for X11. Putty is available at
>
> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
>
> For text shell usage, it has always worked well.

Not only is (a recent) PuTTY an excellent ssh client, but it's got about
the best terminal handling, bar none, for Win32 that I've seen of any
app.

> www.tightvnc.com, and get tightvnc and tightvnc-server. I have this now
> installed on my Mandrake cooker box but i have not tried it yet from my
> Mom's house.

Personally, I'd recommend running a GNU/Linux desktop, with either VNC
or rdesktop providing connectivity to the legacy MS Windows side.  Why
not verso?  Because legacy MS Windows has this really annoying habit of
binding keys in ways that it won't give up.  Under GNU/Linux, by
contrast, you can always run a second X session and either run the
connectivity SW bare, or under a minimal window manager (e.g.: twm)
which doesn't have any of its own keybindings.

> What I did yesterday (over there for Thanksgiving, natch) was to find
> an X server/client for Windows - I ended up with MI/X, which has a 15
> day free trial. There may be better options, but some of them are
> pricey ones.

MI/X is a pretty dismal offering.

Rick Moen has a list of X Servers for legacy MS Windows.  As you said,
most are pricey ($200+ US).

    http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Legacy_Microsoft/xservers-win32.html
    X Servers for Win32.

Among the best, however, is the Cygwin XF86 port.  Highly recommended.
Rootless mode is under development AFAIK.  Oh, and it's free.  Speech &
beer.

    http://www.cygwin.com/

Peace.

    Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!
    - Princess Bride