[svlug] C's Preference

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Sun Nov 30 02:26:38 PST 2003

On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 08:43:15AM +0000, Alex Bobby wrote:
> Dear Programmers,
>
> Any specific reason, why C is preferred to C++ OOP to code Linux.

Do you mean, specifically, the Linux kernel?  Or applications that sit
on top of Linux?

If the former, then I'm _guessing_ slightly better portability,
speed, closer to the metal...  'course, I only vaguely know anything about
C++, and aren't exactly a hardcore C guru... just an average every day C
programmer. :^)

If the latter, then you're mistaken!  Apps for Linux are written in all
sorts of languages! :^)

But, yeah, you probably knew that... :^)  And someone else probably has
a much better answer, so I'll shut up now and get back to designing my
"Kids Software for Linux" presentation I'm giving next week ;)

-bill!
bill at newbreedsoftware.com                           Got kids?  Get Tux Paint!