[svlug] ftpd

Jesse ras1 at jamrockmusic.com
Sun Nov 30 00:41:01 PST 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 22:42, Jason Shupe wrote:
> you might need to add ftpd to /etc/hosts.allow
>
> ftpd: all
> ftpd: 192.168.1.1
>
> And in general I recommend proftpd, as wu is quite possibly worse than
> sendmail when it comes to security history...

I don't think proftpd is much better than wu (I could be wrong),and the
ftp protocol is insecure in general. If you really need to use ftp, you
should take the time to lock it down as well as you can as mentioned
above (/etc/hosts.deny and /etc/hosts.allow).

> > I looked and I have ftpd loaded on my Red Hat 9 computer but it
> > is not being used.

Although I don't think any thing is secure about ftp, I'm pretty sure
redhat 9 uses vsftpd (very secure ftp). Just do an rpm -qa | grep vsftp
to find out the name of the rpm. Then do rpm -ql name_of_rpm to find out
what the man page is called.

--jesse